The University Council is the governing body of the University. The University Council has a total of 17 members, 11 of which , as representatives of the University, are elected by higher education institutions within the University. The Military Academy elects seven representatives, the Medical Faculty of the Military Medical Academy elects four representatives, the Cadet Parliament elects three members and three members, on behalf of the founders, are appointed by the Government of the Republic of Serbia, in accordance with the law.
The University Council adopts:
- Statute of the University on the proposal of the University Senate,
- financial plan on the proposal of the University Senate,
- business report and annual accounts on the proposal of the University Senate,
- plan for the use of investment funds, approves the distribution, makes a decision on the amount of tuition at the proposal of the University Senate,
- other general acts of the University in accordance with this Statute.
The Council approves the statute and other activities in accordance with the law and the Statute of the University of Defense. Also, a report on business, no less than once a year is submitted to the Government of the Republic of Serbia through the Ministry of Defense.